COVID-19 CDBG Small Business Grant
UPDATE: We have received additional funding from the state to launch Phase 3 of this program. We will continue to process applications on a first-come, first-served basis in the order that they were received. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We encourage you to sign up for our eNewsletter to be among the first to learn updates about the program.
In an effort to assist businesses during the pandemic, the City of Williamsburg, in partnership with York County and the City of Poquoson, applied for and received funding from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) under the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program. The initial $1.3 Million of funding was expended by March 2021, and the additional $1.4 Million awarded for Phase 2 was expended by September 2021.
The three participating localities have been notified of a third infusion of $1.2 Million to the CDBG Small Business Grant fund by DHCD. Applications for City of Williamsburg businesses reopened on Monday, October 18th, 2021.
Under Phase 3, ONLY rent or mortgage expenses for your business are considered qualifying expenses up to a maximum of six (6) months of payments. The six months of payments do not have to be consecutive. Payments must have been made after March 13, 2020. Businesses are eligible for up to $15,000, including any previous grant funds received under Phase 1 or 2 of this program.
Grants will be committed and funded on a first-come, first-served basis, based upon availability of funds and submission of a complete application, with supporting documentation (proof or rent/mortgage payments and a current lease/ownership documentation). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• Must be a for-profit business impacted by Governor Northam’s Executive Order 53
• Must have employed fewer than 20 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees at some point since March 13th, 2020
• Must be an active business located and licensed in the City of Williamsburg, Virginia. Business must be open for business in some capacity as of the application date.
• Must be in good standing with all local taxes and fees. Currently not in default or non-compliance with any City programs or ordinances.
• May not have already received reimbursement from any other local, state, or federal relief programs for the same items the business is applying for reimbursement for under this program
• Home-based Businesses may apply, but must provide a Form 8829 which shows what percentage of the home is considered the business. This percentage will be used to calculate the rent or mortgage reimbursement up to a maximum of 25%.
• Non-profit agencies are not eligible for funding.
• Each eligible business may receive a maximum of up to $15,000 total in grant funds (Phase 1 + Phase 2 + Phase 3) for the reimbursement of rent or mortgage expenses.
• If a business received grant funds under Phase 1 and/or Phase 2 of this program, that amount will count towards the $15,000 total (i.e. if a business received the full $5,000 award under Phase 1, it is eligible for an additional $10,000 award now)
• Businesses that did not apply under Phase 1 or Phase 2 are eligible for a full $15,000 award
• Applicant must have been in business prior to March 12, 2020
• Applicant must have a current (2021) City of Williamsburg business license
• Applicant must have had fewer than 20 Full Time Employees at some point since March 13th, 2020
• Expenditures must have been made subsequent to the Governor of Virginia's Declaration of Emergency on March 13th
• Applicant must have or be able to provide proof of application for a DUNS number (see D&B website)
• 2021 City of Williamsburg Business License
• Completed IRS W-9 Form
• Copy of your current lease or ownership documentation. (If your submitted payments for reimbursements are outside of the current lease dates, we will need a copy of that lease, as well.)
• Proof that you have applied for a DUNS number (applies only if you have not yet received and cannot provide your DUNS number on the application)
• IRS Form 8829 from your 2020 tax return, showing the percentage of home office space claimed (Applies to Home-based Businesses ONLY)
• Cancelled checks or detailed statements for the months which you are requesting rent/mortgage payment reimbursements. Additional documentation may be requested by the state.
If you have any questions related to the COVID-19 CDBG Business Grant, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (757) 220-6104.