COVID-19 CDBG Small Business Grant
The deadline to apply is June 1, 2021; however grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Funds are expected to run out prior to the stated deadline.
In an effort to assist businesses during the pandemic, the City of Williamsburg, in partnership with York County and the City of Poquoson, applied for and received funding from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) under the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program. This funding allows the three partner localities to provide grants to help businesses defray the costs of State-mandates requirements in the reopening process, in order to help small businesses impacted by Governor Northam's Executive Order 53 related to COVID-19.
Individual grants to businesses are awarded as one-time financial assistance given to eligible for-profit businesses in amount not to exceed $5,000. These funds must be a reimbursement of actual expenditures that the business incurred following the State reopening requirements.
Grants will be committed and funded on a first-come, first-served bases, based upon availability of funds and submission of a complete application, with supporting documentation that clearly justifies how the requested funds are related to recovery and/or reopening costs from the COVID-19 emergency.
Approvable expenses are those that are directly related to the recovery and/or reopening of the applicant’s business, per the State of Virginia’s reopening guidelines specific to your industry. All items or services must have been purchased/paid for after the Governor of Virginia declared the COVID-19 emergency (March 13, 2020) and before June 22, 2021. Recovery of lost income is not an approvable expense. Funds may not be used to purchase illegal items, nor may they be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco, medicine, or related items.
• Purchase of PPE (protective supplies, tools, equipment or inventory) and/or cleaning services or supplies
• Property improvements or renovations of a commercial location to accommodate social distancing and/or outdoor dining, recreation, services, etc.
• Software/hardware expenses to accommodate delivery, online payments, online reservations, etc.
• Signage, advertising, marketing expenses, etc. to promote that your business is open and/or operating under modified conditions
• Payment for rent or mortgage during times of negative economic impact due to the pandemic. Business may receive rent/mortgage relief even if it remained open.
• Must be a for-profit business impacted by Governor Northam’s Executive Order 53
• Must have employed fewer that 20 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees at some point since March 13th
• Must be an active business located and licensed in the City of Williamsburg, Virginia. Business must be open for business in some capacity as of the application date.
• Must be in good standing with all local taxes and fees. Currently not in default or non-compliance with any City programs or ordinances.
• May not have already received reimbursement from any other local, state, or federal relief programs for the same items the business is applying for reimbursement for under this program
• Home-based Businesses may apply, but must clearly show that the expenses are business related, not residential in nature.
• Non-profit agencies are not eligible for funding.
Each eligible business may receive up to $5,000 in grant funds for the reimbursement of approved costs
• Applicant must have a current (2020) City of Williamsburg business license
• Applicant must have had fewer than 20 Full Time Employees at some point since March 13th
• Expenditures must have been made subsequent to the Governor of Virginia's Declaration of Emergency on March 13th
• 2020 City of Williamsburg Business License
• Completed IRS W-9 Form
• Detailed paid receipts for each service, item or project for which you are requesting reimbursements. Bank statements, canceled checks, invoice mark paid, and/or credit card receipts may also be acceptable.
If you have any questions related to the COVID-19 CDBG Business Grant, contact us at email@example.com or (757) 220-6104.