COVID-19 Business Grant Program
The purpose of this program is to financially assist city businesses that have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. City businesses have generally suffered severe negative economic impacts from the restrictions contained in the Governor of Virginia’s Executive Order 53 and the Governor’s stay-home order, imposed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The COVID-19 Business Grant Program is administered by the Williamsburg Economic Development Authority (EDA). Each qualifying business shall receive a monetary grant equal to one-half of the business’s BPOL (business license) payment the business made to the City of Williamsburg for the gross receipts the business received in calendar year 2019 to include any City portion of ABC fees. This 2019 BPOL payment was due March 1, 2020 and is calculated on the gross receipts the business earned during calendar year 2019.
Businesses must meet the following loss and general criteria to qualify:
- Business must be physically located in the City of Williamsburg.
- Local Ownership must meet one (1) of the following:
- Only location is in the City of Williamsburg
- If multiple locations, the principal office address of the corporation, LL, general of limited partnership, sole proprietorship, must be located within 50 miles of the City limits
- Business must upload a scanned copy or photo of its current 2020 City business license
- Business must be current on all City tax obligations
- Business must agree to release tax information
This grant program is designed to assist those business most in need of relief from the financial impacts of COVID-19 mitigation efforts. Qualifying business shall meet one of the following criteria for loss:
- Business is currently not permitted to operate in person due to the restrictions in Governor’s Executive Order Number 53 (EO53) and for which telephonic, electronic, virtual, or social distancing operations are not feasible. Business will be asked to explain.
- OR -
- Business operations satisfy all two (2) the following:
- Business is significantly limited due to the restrictions provided in EO53 and the Governor's Stay at Home Order. Business will be asked to explain.
- Business whose April 2020 gross receipts have been reduced by at least 50% due to COVID-19 when compared to April 2019 gross receipts. Business will be asked to provide documentation.
- Businesses must apply by June 1, 2020.
- Grants will be awarded on a first‐come first‐serve basis (contingent upon receipt of a completed application).
- Total grants funds available for award are limited to $1,000,000.
- All unawarded grant funds as of August 31, 2020 shall be returned to the City Council.
- The program requirements shall be interpreted liberally in favor of business qualification
- Prior to the distribution of any grant monies, all delinquent real property, personal property, sales, transient occupancy or meals taxes, BPOL, license fees, fines, utility charges, or any other amounts owed by the applicant and property owner to the City of Williamsburg must be paid in full.