The Williamsburg eCommerce Grant Program is a joint undertaking by the Williamsburg Economic Development Authority and the City of Williamsburg that began in 2008. The EDA established the Program to help facilitate technology access for small, private businesses located exclusively in the City of Williamsburg. The City supplied start-up funding for the Program and continues to provide financial support.
Projects for which grants are available include:
• Web Site Design and Development
• Online Shopping Systems
• Search Engine Optimization
• Other enhancements that increase traffic and commerce to business
Annual Maintenance or Service Fees (i.e. Internet Service Provider, Priority Listing, Domain Name, or Website Hosting Fees) are not eligible for grant funds.
Grants are made on a first-come, first-served basis with a maximum lifetime grant amount of $1,500.00
• Grants are matching grants equal to 50 percent of total cost of the approved project for Virginia-based providers.
• Grants are matching grants equal to 25 percent of total cost of the approved project for non-Virginia-based providers.
Businesses must be for-profit, have a current City Business License, and be located in the City of Williamsburg, with no more than three physical locations in the City, and no locations outside of the City. The same business may not receive more than one grant within a 12-month period.
• Where the applicant has no presently existing web site, a new website must be established, or,
• The applicant’s existing website must be enhanced to accept online payments, to offer online shopping (catalog or cart), or other clearly
identified enhancement to increase traffic and commerce to the business.
The primary physical business location of the website designer must be in the Commonwealth of Virginia and website design must be one of the designer’s primary full-time business activities. No principal, officer or manager employee of the applicant may be a principal, officer, manager employee or investor in the entity employed to perform the services to be funded in whole or in part by the grant.
Requirement to Recognize the Williamsburg EDA on the Site's Homepage
The homepage of the Applicant’s web site must recognize the Williamsburg Economic Development Authority by stating the following: “The Williamsburg Economic Development Authority <hyperlinked to http://www.yeswilliamsburg.com> provided grant funds for the development of this web site.”
1. Complete and submit the online application. This includes acquiring a minimum of two quotes for the work to be completed. When the application is submitted, you will receive an email notification from SM Apply that it has been received. Remember to bookmark this page. You will be able to check the status of your application at any time.
2. Applications will be reviewed on a monthly basis by the Williamsburg Economic Development Office. You will receive an email notification of the decision. If approved, this the authority for the applicant to begin work.
3. Website provider completes the project as quoted.
4. Applicant business pays the website provider in full and submits an invoice marked paid to SM Apply.
5. Williamsburg Economic Development staff will verify completion of the project as quoted and provide grant payment to the applicant business.